I was at the store in Port Orange,FL and purchased coffee and sweet roll. As I went to a table I tripped on the electric cord a customer had strung between the table and the all, directly across the aisle.
I have difficulty walking because of a foot injury and didn't see or expect the cord to be in the aisle. The customer was unconcerned. The store staff didn't address the issue.
My two emails to the Panera customer service staff and my letter to the president of Panera went unanswered. They did not acknowledge that the practice of allowing customers to string electric cords across the floor is a hazard and that if and when someone falls they will be responsible.