Denver, Colorado

Yesterday three friends and I were at Panera. A chair one friend sat on broke into pieces, sending her backwards suddenly onto the floor.

My friend had open-heart surgery a few months ago and we were concerned as to her overall well-being. We suggested that she see her doctor as soon as possible since the fall was severe. The General Manager arrived a few minutes later to complete an incident report. The GM told us that several chairs had broken recently (!) and she was going to suggest to upper management that new chairs be purchased.

The GM also said that someone "from corporate" would be in touch with my friend either yesterday or today to arrange for the payment of whatever medical costs were incurred as a result of this accident. One might have expected the GM upon her arrival on the scene to ask my friend, who was obviously in distress and pain, if she could (at the very least) get her a cup of water. Nothing of this sort occurred. No one has contacted her and it is now more than 24 hours since the incident.

When my friend phoned Panera to speak with the GM this afternoon, the GM was rude, abrupt and unhelpful. Very poor overall handling of a serious incident.

We left and will not return to any Panera. Terrible management and PR skills, and lack of common sense.

Product or Service Mentioned: Panera Bread Customer Care.

Panera Bread Cons: General manager, Poor customer service.

• Panera Failed