Germantown, Maryland
3.0
Cleanliness
Quality of Food

Panera is charging almost $10 for a salad now. The portion sizes are WAYYYY SMALLER.

They stopped serving the salad in a larger box to putting it in a smaller clear bowl to make you think there's more food. Who do they think they're fooling? The bowl looks like the same amount but it's not, because the sides are round, it's cutting away space for salad thus, less portion size. Take a look at my attached photo of the tiny salad size I got 2 days ago.

And this is not only one location. I've experienced this at several Panera locations. I will not be going there back there for lunch anymore. I'm not paying $10 for just a salad or a turkey sandwich.

Without a drink. Oh, and don't get me started about the "Free Bagel promotion once in awhile"... First, their bagels are just bread made into a round shape. They're not really bagels and they are always stale.

I just want to let you know that if you decide to get cream cheese (which is only a 1 Tablespoon portion size) They charge you $1.38 in addition to your "free bagel". RIP OFF!

Product or Service Mentioned: Panera Bread Salad.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Comments

As a Panera employee, I can tell you the portions have not once changed in the two years I’ve been with the company. While I wholeheartedly agree the food is overpriced for the relative portion size, the sizes have not changed.

We have required weights for any meats, and all other products have specific portion tools. These portions are also identical for all items whether they are for here or to go, for anyone who thinks eating in gets you more. The salad boxes were changed to the plastic containers simply because they are much easier to work with quickly during a rush instead of folding those stubborn boxes, they are more appealing to the eye, and they prevent any product from falling out as easily as in the open edges of the boxes.

As for the bagels, we have fresh dough shipped to the store every morning, and the bakers bake fresh bagels every night. At the end of the day, all left over pastries, breads, and bagels are donated to charities, so whenever you purchase a bagel, it is never more than a day old.